Our Beginnings

On June 10, 1911, a group of individuals met in the Fayette County, West Virginia community of Packs Branch for the purpose of organizing a Missionary Baptist Church. Persons who were present to help with the organization were Rev. J.T. Painter, F.E. Pegram, L.W. Webb, J.L. Rogers, W.A. Kincaid, Mr. & Mrs. D.V. Argabright, Albert Williams, and L.P. McClung.

A dedication service was held on June 30, 1912, with Rev. T.H. Fitzgerald preaching the dedication sermon.

Rev. L.P. McClung was the first Pastor of the Packs Branch Missionary Baptist Church. God blessed and during the first year, there were 37 active members.

On Nov. 12, 1954, the Church building was completely destroyed by fire. However, this did not dampen the spirit of the members of the Church. It seemed to draw them closer together. Plans were made to rebuild where they could worship Christ in Christian love and fellowship.

The Church has grown in spirit and in numbers through the years. During its 93 years of existence, the Church has been Pastored by 13 ordained Ministers.

Our present Pastor is Samuel Vance, who began his pastorate of the Church in February, 1989. Under the leadership of Pastor Vance, our church is richly blessed.

In January 1998 our building was severely damaged by a snowstorm and services were held in the Pax City Hall. On July 12, 1998, we resumed our services in a new and larger Church.

To God Be The Glory.


Packs Branch Baptist Church - 1911


Packs Branch Baptist Church - 1993


Packs Branch Baptist Church - 2005